Although paper towel holders are generally affordable, you can opt to learn how to make a paper towel holder out of wood instead. Aside from the joy and pride of completing a project, you can design your holder to suit your kitchen aesthetic. Also, paper holder DIYs are not very complicated to follow. With just a few easy steps, you’ll have a working paper towel holder with the design of your preference.
DIY Paper Towel Holder
How to make a paper towel holder out of wood is relatively easy to do. You just need the right tools and your creative juices to come up with a functional and sleek paper towel holder.
Here are the materials and tools you need for this project:
- 1″ diameter wooden dowel
- 4″ diameter wooden round base
- 1″ copper end cap
- Glue gun or wood glue
- Brass or any colored spray paint (optional)
- Take your 1” wooden dowel and cut it down to 13” long. Use a miter saw to ensure a clean and straight line when cutting. However, you can also check with your hardware store and have your dowel pre-cut so you can skip this step.
- Use a glue gun to adhere one end of the dowel to your wooden base. You can also use wood glue if preferred. Hold down the dowel for about 2-3 minutes until secured.
- Take your copper end cap and place it on top of your dowel. You can leave it as it is, or you can also change it depending on how you want your paper holder to look like. You can spray paint it with brass or any color you think would match your kitchen design. If you want to make more towel holders, you can also assign different colored caps.
Other Uses of Paper Towel Holders
Paper towel holders serve more purpose than just holding your paper towels. Learning how to make a paper towel holder out of wood can help you craft more storage and organizing options. Here are the other uses of paper towel holders:
Organizing Twines and Ribbons
Ribbons and twines are challenging to store since they easily get tangled up, especially when stored with other craft supplies. Putting it on display allows you to see all your ribbons and twines for easy access. Just pull a ribbon you need and cut it to your desired length. Since they are all stacked up in a wooden holder, they won’t tangle up easily.
Keeping Craft Supplies Tidy
If you like making scrapbooks, this hack will help you organize your materials. Use your paper towel holder to clasp binder clips of scrapbooks and albums for safekeeping of your favorite stickers and craft cards. Doing so will let you see all your collections easily without the need to dig through everything.
Holding Your Rolls of Tape
You can use your paper towel holder to keep your rolls of tape stacked up neatly. This way, you can easily dispense the tape that you need without ransacking your craft cabinet. You can also display your collection of washed tapes using a towel holder.
Belts can easily get lost at the back of your closet. Hanging them can sometimes look messy and disorganized. Using your paper towel holder to store coiled belts is an ideal and practical way to organize them. You can also place them on your dresser for easy access.
Stacking Donuts and Bagels
For practical and unique design presentation, use a clean paper towel holder to stack up donuts and bagels for your guests to reach easily. This way, you won’t need to prepare huge platters that take up too much space.
Alternative Hat Box
Hats can lose their structure quickly when squished to fit inside your closet. Thus, learning how to make a paper towel holder out of wood can give you efficient hat storage to keep your fedora in shape for more extended periods.
Learning how to make a paper towel holder out of wood is a simple DIY you can try at home. Instead of purchasing a boring holder, try to make your own to suit your taste. Paper towel holders are also a practical storage option for crafts and other accessories we have. Thus, making one or two paper towel holders can help you in tidying up and organizing your household. Discover more cleaning and organizing hacks here!