How To Use Bleaching Powder For Cleaning Floors: Housekeeping Tricks
Floors are the first to get dirty than any part of your home. Floor surfaces and corners are most prone to mold, mildew, bacteria, and viruses. They collect germs from shoes, food spills, and even pets at home. That is why it needs frequent cleaning. Whatever type of floor you may have - tile, linoleum, vinyl, or concrete floor, cleaning your floor using a bleaching powder will effectively sanitize floors and keep it germ-free. Keep reading to learn how to use bleaching powder for cleaning floor.
Bleach Dilution Ratio
It is important to know the bleach dilution ratio for safety and efficiency purposes. Bleach is a tough cleaning substance and will tend to damage hardwood floors when used incorrectly. That is why it is very vital to combine the correct ratio of bleach and water.
For a typical cleaning, use 1/2 bleach per gallon of water. That dilution ratio would be about 1:30. However, a little stronger mixture is needed when cleaning bathrooms, which is recommended to be about 3/4 cup of bleach for every gallon of water. It is best to use water at room temperature so that you can use the bleach solution instantly. There is a need to use bleach and water solution immediately because the mixture does not have a long shelf life and will tend to break down into salt and water over time. Always remember the bleach dilution ratio as you learn how to use bleaching powder for cleaning floor.
Steps to Use Bleaching Powder to Clean Floor
The first step on how to use bleaching powder for cleaning floors is to clean the floor with warm water and detergent first. It will remove any dust or debris that has accumulated on the floor surface. The bleach and water solution will act as the final cleaner and disinfectant.
Open the windows in the home for air circulation. Allowing the air to circulate will remove the harmful fumes of the bleach.
Remove all furniture from the floor and sweep it thoroughly using a broom. Make sure that all dirt and debris has been cleared to avoid spreading them around the floor.
Make the cleaning solution by mixing bleach with water using the suggested ratio above.
Find a soft-bristled brush with a long handle or a mop. Soak it into the solution to scrub the floor. Make sure that bleach won’t get to the legs of your furniture and tables. Do smooth strokes.
After mopping, allow the bleach solution to remain on the floor for about five minutes.
Let the floor surface dry to thoroughly disinfect the area. Remember to keep children and pets away until the floor has dried completely. There’s no need to rinse the floor because the bleach will evaporate and will leave no harmful residue.
Bleach Safety Tips
As you learn how to use bleaching powder for cleaning floor, here are some safety tips to consider:
- Open doors and windows when using a bleach solution for ventilation. Inhaling the fumes is harmful to your health.
- Store bleach in a safe area that is safe and out of reach of children. If you transfer the bleach into another container, make sure to label it so everyone knows what’s inside.
- Bleach comes with instructions; you have to read and follow the directions on how to use the product.
- Keep bleach away from carpets. It can discolor or leave marks that may be hard or impossible to remove.
- Avoid mixing bleach with other cleaning products, especially those that are acid-based or contain ammonia. The chemical reaction will only release toxic and harmful fumes.
- Use bleach on appropriate surfaces only. Before using on any surface, check the product’s instructions first. You can also do a test to check for results by applying it on discreet areas first. Keep in mind that bleach will only be effective when used on suitable surfaces.
Floor areas are inevitably prone to all types of dirt, and using bleach powder is the best cleaning and disinfecting solution. You need to know the steps on how to use bleaching powder for cleaning floor. It is for your safety and for you to be satisfied with the result. Bleach is a powerful cleaning agent that will keep your floor clean and sanitary and look at its best. Always consider safety tips when using it. Want more awesome cleaning tips? Go here!
Most of the things that we use for cleaning can be left unnoticed. That’s why we find a lot of dirty mops or poorly maintained vacuum cleaners.