Have you ever used baking powder for cleaning? Surprisingly, baking powder is not just used for baking, but it is also effective for cleaning. This baking ingredient is versatile enough for use in removing dirt and grime. It has deodorizing power, too! Say goodbye to expensive cleaning solutions and learn how to use baking powder for cleaning.
Difference Between Baking Powder and Baking Soda
Both baking powder and baking soda look the same. Both have the same texture, and both are used as leavening agents that make baked goods rise. The primary difference they have is in the chemical composition and the way they react with other ingredients.
Baking powder contains acid in the chemical mixture, while baking soda will need an acidic ingredient to create the rising action. Baking soda is used in recipes like lemon juice and buttermilk with acidic ingredients. In contrast, baking powder is used in recipes that do not have acidic ingredients, such as pancakes and biscuits. You will get impressive results when you know how to use baking powder for cleaning.
Uses of Baking Powder for Cleaning
- Removes stains from plastic containers – Baking powder effectively removes stains from food containers made of plastic material. All you need to do is to wipe it with a clean sponge with baking powder. You can mix baking powder with water to make a cleaning solution and soak food containers in it. Then mix 4 tablespoons of baking powder with a quarter gallon of warm water.
- Scrubs down surfaces in the kitchen – A baking powder with water solution works effectively in your kitchen countertops and sink. They also make microwaves and other cooking utensils clean.
- Deep-cleans greasy pans. Baking powder can be used to deep clean pots and pans with stuck-on grease. Sprinkle some baking powder on your dishwashing soap and use a scrub sponge on the grease to clear it out.
- Deodorizes stinky sponges. When your sponge is filled with dirt and oil, it might smell stinky. Revive your sponge by soaking it in a baking powder and water solution.
- Cleans musty fabric – When your upholstery becomes musty and stinks, baking powder a lot of help. Sprinkle the powder in the affected area and let it sit for about fifteen minutes before vacuuming.
- Cleans pet beds – Pet beds need regular cleaning, and it’s quite a work to do every time. For easy cleaning, sprinkle baking powder on it, let it settle for about fifteen minutes, and vacuum.
- Cleans old toys – Baking powder will give a new life to your used toys. Dip sponge in a baking soda and water solution, then wipe on a dirty toy. You will be surprised to see it clean and look like new.
- Scrubs dirty walls. Walls covered with dirt are easily cleaned using a baking powder. It can wipe away dirt and crayons that landed on walls. You don’t need to repaint your wall right away when you see it unclean; a little scrubbing using a sponge sprinkled with baking soda will do the trick.
- Banishes bathroom mildew – Bathroom mildew can be easily removed using a baking powder. A damp sponge with sprinkled baking powder can clean bathroom floors and leave it shiny in no time. It is one of the many benefits you will get when you know how to use baking powder for cleaning.
- Refreshes stinky sneakers. You can freshen up your smelly sneakers by sprinkling some baking soda inside your shoes. Tap the powder remains before wearing your shoes.
- Eliminates odors in the garbage – To eliminate garbage odors, place some baking powder at the bottom of your garbage can.
- Cleans up oil spill spots – Oil spills are common in the garage. You can easily clean it by pouring a baking powder and scrubbing it with a wet brush.
- Scrubs a messy grill – Your grill is prone to grime build-up, and it takes time to clean it. Sprinkle a baking powder on your cleaning brush before scrubbing the grime away for easy clean-up. Knowing how to use baking powder for cleaning will change the way you deal with stubborn grimes.
- Brightens jewelry – When you have been using your jewelry, it tends to become dull. Brighten them up using a baking powder paste, a mix of three parts baking powder and water. Use a small cloth to apply the paste on the jewelry and rinse thoroughly.
Baking powder is economical yet an effective cleaner that can be used in various applications. It can scrub away grimes and stains and deodorize surfaces with less effort. When you know how to use baking powder for cleaning, your task is done with ease; you can do away with buying costly cleaning products. And yes, baking powder is not only for baking but for cleaning as well. Discover more cleaning hacks here!