Do-it-yourself wooden paper towel holders have become more popular nowadays. The wood material can add a classy, natural design to any room. Plus, it is sturdy and more functional. This article will act as a guide on how to make a paper towel holder. We will provide detailed information that is easy to understand and replicate.
Materials in Making a DIY Wood Paper Towel Holder
Here are the materials and tools you need in making a DIY wooden paper towel holder. The kind of paper towel holder that we would be making is a horizontal one:
- 13-14 inches long pallet board (the width should 5 inches or more)– serve as a backboard
- 1-1.3 inches diameter with an 11.3-12 inches long, wooden dowel – serve as a holder of the paper towel (your broken brooms handle will do)
- 4-6 inches wide pallet board -serve as a holder of the wooden dowel
- Screws enough to connect the wood to the concrete
- Wood glue (optional)
- A pair of knobs (used to lock in the dowel at the holder’s sides)
- Scroll saw (optional)
- Miter saw (optional)
- Coping saw
- Fret saw
- Hand saw
- Power drill
- Hand drill
Steps in Making a DIY Wood Paper Towel Holder
Note: The following steps on how to make a paper towel holder are only an example. Feel free to create your design.
- The first thing we need to prepare is the backboard of the wooden paper towel holder. The standard size of a paper towel is 11 inches long. Leaving an allowance of 2 to 3 inches for the part where the dowel is to be placed would be best. And that makes the back portion has a size 13 to 14 inches long. Moreover, if you wish to add a decoration to the back piece, such as having the edges curved and the surface be carved, it would undoubtedly give the holder an elegant and classic look.
- The next step on how to make a paper towel holder is to draw a guide for the shape of the holder’s sides, the part where the dowel is to be placed. Each side should measure one inch thick and 6 inches wide. Then, cut the pallet for two, with the template as a guide. In cutting the wooden holder’s sides, the scroll saw is best to use. However, it takes a lot of money for this stuff. If not available, you can use your fret saw or coping saw in cutting. Apply sandpaper on the surface and edges of the sides and the backboard for a smoother texture.
- Using your power drill or an impact driver with a drill bit of about 1.6 inches diameter, drill a hole to the sides of the holder. Note that the distance between the side to the backboard should not less than four inches; this gives a clearance space from the paper towel’s thickness, which measures 2.5 inches, and the dowel’s diameter, which is 1.5 inches. The drill bit should also measure 1.6 inches to accommodate the dowel’s size, which is 1.5 inches. It ensures that the dowel fits the sides’ hole but not too loose when the paper towel is grabbed.
- Attached the side to the backboard using screws or wood glue. Wood glue is intended to connect the two materials permanently. You can also use screws to it and can remove it later if you desired.
- Connect the back piece to the wall using appropriate screws or wood glue to join a block of wood to a concrete surface.
- Insert the paper towel into the dowel.
- Attach the wooden dowel or your broken broom’s handle to both sides. Use a decorative knob to lock in the dowel’s ends, not to loosen the dowel from the side.
- Paint your wooden paper towel holder with lacquer. It is best to use because it gives a glossy finish to your newly made holder.
In this example, you can have your holder’s sides height to be lengthy on how to make a paper towel holder. With this, you can add a shelf to it where you can put your other kitchen or bathroom kind of stuff on it, making it amazingly functional and classic.
It is also best to read the user manual in cutting the wooden materials before using them, especially with the scroll saw, and the miter saw. These two machines are potentially dangerous when not used correctly. The blades are incredibly sharp. The same goes for the power drill and the impact driver. It is always the best thing to do, wherein you get well with the machines you are using to avoid accidents. Learn more about paper towels and tips here!
Now, you know how to make a paper towel holder. This wooden holder is excellent in quality and functionality. You can maximize the wooden holder’s use by adding a shelf for other stuff such as soaps and shampoos. You can also design it by carving its surface and edges.