As a homeowner, you may struggle with musty air and stale odors when running your air conditioner. Without spraying synthetic air freshener, a more convenient way to bring a pleasant smell around your house is to use essential oil. Essential oils are natural plant extracts used for streaming compounds in the air to produce fragrance. You can turn these common ingredients into a fragrant diffuser. Without further ado, here’s how to install an air filter freshener that is safe, environment-friendly, and affordable. Also, this article answers why the air filter gets dirty quickly.
How to Install Air Filter Freshener
It’s a bit of work to keep the house clean and freshly perfumed than to make it clean and tidy. To further give your home a fresh fragrance, several items are available in the market, but they’re also costly. Aside from that, you need to change the chemical-filled air freshener constantly. Other room fresheners can include chemicals that in individuals with allergies or those susceptible to chemical sensitivities can respond.
Here are the steps on how to install air filter freshener using essential oils:
- Purchase an air filter that suits your HVAC machine, which is the right size and MERV ranking. Check your product manual if you’re unsure which filter to use, or contact your HVAC pro for advice.
- Choose one essential oil to use or develop your mixture with additional healing properties for a special fragrance.
- Put 15 drops of oil uniformly over the filter container with an eyedropper, then install it in your HVAC machine. Each time the air compressor cycles on with the perfumed filter in place, a calming fragrance stream out with your air conditioner.
The awful smell would diminish in about one week, which is also the perfect way to investigate your air filter. If the filter is still clean, you can add more oil, or if the existing one needs replacement, you can buy a filter cartridge.
Why Use Essential Oils for Air Filter Freshener
Essential oils are safer and cleaner, the perfect choice to freshly fragrant to your indoor air. That’s why it’s important to learn how to install air filter freshener using essential oils. It also prevents moisturizers and candles from leaking toxic chemicals. Essential oils are produced from plant bark, seeds, flower stalks of the natural aromatic compounds. Many oils come with therapeutic benefits in addition to providing your home a wonderful scent:
- You can use lavender and tea tree oil to disinfect and prevent dust mites.
- Rosemary, cypress, and eucalyptus prevent bacterial growth.
- Thymes, cinnamon, and lemon minimize airborne viruses.
- To effectively kill mold growth, you can use sandalwood and sage.
- Bergamot and oregano have antibiotic properties that are essential to your health.
When to Replace Air Filter Freshener
For simple three inches air filters, manufacturers usually advise changing them every 30 to 60 days. You could add a suitable air filter or change it often if you experience mild to moderate allergies. If you live in a rural area or less populated places where there are fewer vehicles around, you may replace them annually. You can also clean the air filter regularly to keep it in top condition.
Here are factors that can help you understand when to get a new air filter at your home:
- Every 6 to 12 months, you can replace the AC air filter in your house with no pets or allergies.
- If you’re living in suburban places without pets, you can replace them every 90 days.
- If you’re living with one dog or cat, it’s important to purchase a new air filter every 60 days.
- If anyone has allergies, I recommend replacing them for 20 to 45 days.
Why Does Air Filter Get Dirty Quickly
Now that we know how to install air filter freshener, the next question is knowing why it gets dirty quickly. Here are some factors you should consider to prevent your AC air filter from accumulating air impurities.
Wrong Air Filter
One explanation is that you are using a one-inch special air filter. These kinds of filters can easily get contaminated since they are specifically built to capture all airborne impurities. They consist of the fine mesh where certain airborne particles can be trapped. Instead, you could get a cheap and disposable fiberglass filter or thicker pleats.
AC Wrong Settings
Another explanation of why the air filter gets dirty quickly is that the A/C fan is set. If your A/C is working on the thermostat fan, allowing air to run continuously through the air filter, it will get messy easily. Your temperature controller fan should be automatically mounted, which will also reduce your monthly bills.
Air Ducts Leak
The filter can also build blockage by leaky air ducts, especially if it is around your AC system. Getting leaky air ducts will charge you more than you’ll expect on your electricity costs, then you should try to get rid of it immediately. A typical house will eliminate around 20 to 30 percent of the air that passes through the ducts since they are not correctly connected. Leaks, openings, or pierce on air ducts are primary suspects your AC air filter gets dirty quickly.
Your beloved pets could contribute to the indoor air quality in your home. Having animals leads to more fur, and toxins entering the air will inevitably end in your filter. Cleaning your pets frequently helps prevent dust and dirt away that could get into the air. You can contribute to reducing most of the hair that comes into the air.
To prevent filters from being congested with dirt, dust, or particles, it is important to regularly track your air filters so that they remain to screen the air. The clean and pleasant fragrance gives a better indoor air quality and increases efficiency. Learning how to install air filter freshener properly should keep allergies away from your family. Instead, use natural household ingredients. The essential oil will provide breathable and safe air for your family. Want to know more about air freshener? Go here!