How To Follow Office Supply Distribution Procedures
Employees are indeed more efficient with the right resources. But with multiple employees and a list of supplies to track, this responsibility can be challenging. The process can be simpler if we learn how to follow office supply distribution procedures with some practical tips. Let's start!
Quick Tips For Easier Office Supply Distribution
Coffee has become a fundamental part of people’s daily routine that it's become a need. How do we categorize something we consider as a need, but does not necessarily keep the business running? Is coffee an office expense or office supply?
But first, let's differentiate an office expense from an office supply.
Limit the access to office supplies.
- Improve the current organization system.
- Assign a point person in charge of the supply room. All employees go through the point person for more office supplies.
- Cons: In the absence of the point person, there will be difficulty accessing supplies.
- NOTE: Open supply rooms are not recommended.
Choose a select few to be in charge of the supply room.
- Responsible for office stationery policy and procedures
- Have exclusive access to the supply room through a key or code
Create a log sheet for anyone taking supplies in an open supply room.
- The log sheet includes the supplies taken, the amount, and the date.
- Cons: This honor-based system is prone to abuse.
Organize the supplies you have to make inventory easier.
- Group similar items together in the supply room.
- Keep the supply room neat.
- Extra supplies must be returned to the supply room.
- Items used frequently should be located on shelves at eye level.
- Items that are not as popular should be placed on the higher shelves.
- Tell your employees to use up supplies before opening new ones.
- Use up what's available to avoid wasting a surplus of supplies.
Plan the reordering process.
- Track items used the most.
- Track how long specific orders take.
- Work out an estimate order time based on the figures you tracked.
- Consider automated reordering for some of your supplies to prevent a shortage.
- Ordering in bulk can save your company some money. The key to an effective reorder process is to avoid over-ordering by placing an order at the right time when you need more supplies.
Maintain an inventory log.
- Download a free inventory template for your office supplies.
- It must be regularly updated.
- Perform periodic inventory checks for inventory updates.
- Be aware of supplies that are running low.
NOTE: An office should have one week's worth of supplies to keep the workplace running. If we know how to follow office supply distribution procedures, there is no fear of shortages. Learn more about office supplies here!
Effectively maintaining an inventory is challenging, but it becomes less daunting if we know how to follow office supply distribution procedures. The efficiency of a team requires access to resources. And your employees will be happy to know that you're giving them the best support through an excellent inventory plan.
Nothing hinders productivity other than a messy workspace and sour office odor. It can be uncomfortable working when you can’t stand the funky smell from your desk. No matter the reason and season, now is the time to purchase the best air freshener for office and home.