Rubber gloves are one of the household tools we always need. There are different types for different work you need to do. But we do not always know when to replace our rubber gloves. It would be a hassle to find out you just broke your last pair of gloves. Worry not because we will show you how to determine when to replace your gloves and how long do rubber gloves last.
Reusable Rubber Gloves
Rubber gloves are very impactful to our environment. There are disposable gloves for much more practical use, but it creates more waste since its disposable, which is very harmful to the environment. You can use reusable rubber gloves for a long time because it’s more durable and you can clean and use it again. But the question remains, how long do rubber gloves last?
A reusable rubber glove does not have any prescription as to how long you should use it. The general rule regarding reusable rubber gloves would be that you should use it as long as it does the job. Check your reusable rubber gloves regularly.
Checking Your Reusable Rubber Gloves
Check your reusable rubber gloves if it has tears. The gloves are there to protect your hands from germs or chemicals and other foreign objects. If it has even a small tear, you will be exposing your hand to whatever you are handling. A leak will definitely happen, and it doesn’t serve the purpose anymore. You should replace that reusable rubber glove.
Also, check your reusable rubber gloves if it has discolorations. If this occurs, it is most likely that your reusable rubber gloves are now thinner or structurally weaker, making them prone to breaking while being used. To avoid accidents wherein your gloves snap in the middle of your household chores, replace the discolored reusable rubber gloves.
Proper Care for Your Reusable Rubber Gloves
Taking proper care of your reusable rubber gloves would enhance the life of your reusable rubber gloves. Here are some tips:
- Taking proper care of your reusable rubber gloves would enhance the life of your reusable ruClean your hands before using them. This crucial step prevents the build-up of dirt on the inside, and it avoids the smelly interior of gloves. Also, do not share gloves to avoid mixing your sweat inside. This will also result in smelly rubber gloves, especially if you don’t clean them after use.
- Clean your reusable gloves every after use. Rinse it thoroughly while wearing to prevent contact of the outer part with your skin. Then dry both the interior and exterior of the gloves.
- Store your reusable rubber gloves properly. Store it in a cool and dry place and avoid direct sunlight to prevent the melting of rubber. Prevent tears by storing the reusable rubber gloves far away from any sharp objects.
- And last, use different sets of reusable rubber gloves for every cleaning purpose. Do not use the same gloves for washing your dishes and cleaning your toilet.
These tips would be enough to prolong the life of your reusable rubber gloves.
Disposable Rubber Gloves
You can also use disposable rubber gloves for more demanding tasks like cleaning your bathrooms and comfort rooms. Using disposable rubber gloves is also more appropriate in food handling. Unlike reusable rubber gloves, disposable ones tend to be thinner and less durable.
Types of Disposable Rubber Gloves
There are many different types of disposable rubber gloves, but the most common is latex, vinyl, and nitrile. They have different usage and different strengths. They also have different sizes. To prevent frequent tearing of gloves, you need to find the right size for you.
When using these kinds of gloves, always take note of when to change them. It always depends on what you are doing. Here are a few tips:
- In food handling, always change your gloves when handling different ingredients. Change gloves if you are handling vegetables after meat. This will prevent cross-contamination of the ingredients and avoid allergic reactions. The next thing to watch out for is food allergies; if you are serving someone with food allergies, it is better to use a new pair of gloves to avoid allergic reactions to previously handled ingredients.
- In the medical set-up, they always change gloves every after procedure. They also change gloves every after patient to prevent the spread of harmful diseases.
Shelf Life of Rubber Gloves
How long do rubber gloves last? Proper storage of disposable rubber gloves also prolongs their shelf life. It does not matter how long do rubber gloves last if you do not store them properly. But, a natural latex glove has a shelf life of about three years. On the other hand, gloves made of nitrile, urethane, and other materials last longer with a five-year shelf life.
The standard precaution is still storing it in a cool and dry place and avoiding sunlight. Avoid heat sources at all costs. This will prevent the melting of the gloves and compromising their structural integrity. Beyond the shelf life imprinted on the packaging, as long as you can stretch it without cracks appearing or without breaking apart, you can still use that glove.
Rubber gloves are a necessity in keeping a nice and clean home. We also love our environment, so we need to conserve the use of rubber gloves as much as possible. With the knowledge of how long do rubber gloves last and the tips that we showed you to prolong your rubber gloves’ life, we hope you keep your homes clean and protect your hands while controlling throwing away too many rubber gloves. Learn more about rubber gloves here!