Can You Use Window Cleaner On Glasses?
Regular cleaning of your eyeglasses will help maintain them in good shape and last longer. They get dirty and smudgy at times, and it is especially visible on the lenses. Part of your eye care routine is cleaning your glasses the right and safer way. Can you use window cleaner on glasses? Keep reading to find out.
Don’ts When Cleaning Your Glasses
- Do not use your shirt or other cloth to wipe clean your glasses. Doing this will scratch the lenses, especially when it’s dry.
- Do not put saliva to wet the lenses when cleaning them.
- Do not use household glass cleaners when cleaning your eyeglasses. Your glass cleaner at home may contain ingredients that can damage lenses and harmful to the glasses’ protective coating.
- Do not use toilet paper or a paper towel to clean your glasses. No matter how soft these papers are, they can still scratch the lenses.
- Do not “buff away” your lenses when you see any scratch. It won’t do any good to your glasses.
How to Clean Your Glasses Properly
There is a proper way to clean your glasses to avoid damaging their lenses and frame. So, can you use window cleaner on glasses? Find out in the following step-by-step guide on how to clean your glasses more efficiently and safely.
- Clean your hands. The first step is to clean your hands by washing them thoroughly with soap and water. Make sure your hands are dirt-free. You also need to dry your hands completely after washing. Avoid putting lotion on your hands as it might be transferred to your glasses.
- Rinse the glasses. To remove dust and other debris, rinse your glasses using a gentle stream of lukewarm water. Rinsing with the use of clean water is the best way to clean your glasses without the danger of scratching them. However, you shouldn’t use hot water when cleaning because it will damage the lens and the coatings.
- Apply dishwashing liquid. Many people would ask, “can you use window cleaner on glasses?” A dishwashing liquid is more safe and helpful. You only need a small drop of dishwashing liquid to clean the lenses. Apply a drop to your fingertips to use it. Keep in mind that it is best to use a lotion-free dishwashing liquid.
- Rub gently. Rub both sides of the lenses gently. After the lenses, rub all parts of the frame as well. Rubbing must only take a few seconds, and you shouldn’t overdo it.
- Rinse thoroughly. After cleaning all parts, rinse both sides of the lenses. Make sure to remove all soap and bubbles to avoid smears when drying them.
- Gently shake the glasses. After rinsing, gently shake the glasses to remove excess water from the lenses.
- Dry the glasses. Use a clean and lint-free towel to dry your glasses, and take extra care when drying them. Also, remember to use a towel free of fabric conditioner to avoid smears on the lenses.
- Inspect the lenses. Look for any smudges on the lenses; if there are any, use a microfiber cloth to clean them. It’s always a good choice to invest in microfiber cloths. They are readily available in optical shops.
Are Window Cleaners Suitable for Cleaning Glasses?
Dust and grease build-up are common among eyeglasses. Cleaning them safely and efficiently will help keep them in the best shape. Using your usual household products won’t be a good idea. Even mild and toxic window and mirror cleaners are not safe to use on your glasses.
Can you use window cleaner on glasses? Widely used cleaning solutions that effectively clean windows and glass doors are good, but they are not for eyeglasses. Household cleaners usually contain ammonia and other strong chemicals.
Glasses are made of special materials that may be sensitive to strong chemicals, so they need a different way of cleaning. After cleaning the glasses, you don’t need to wipe them immediately. Always be gentle when handling and drying them at all times.
When tap water isn’t available to rinse your lenses when you clean them, you can use spray eyeglass cleaner instead. It is enough to flush away dust and other debris. Learn more about how to clean windows here.
If you’ve got eyeglasses, cleaning them must be your consistent routine. Clean glasses will help you see more clearly and prevent eye infections. But you have to clean your glasses the right way to avoid damage and keep them looking great. Can you use window cleaner on glasses? It might not be a good idea. Your eyesight is very valuable, and maintaining good eyewear is a way to safeguard your vision.
Keeping your house clean is a difficult chore. But thanks to technology, we have gadgets and appliances that help us finish household work faster and easier, like vacuum cleaners.
Most of the things that we use for cleaning can be left unnoticed. That’s why we find a lot of dirty mops or poorly maintained vacuum cleaners.